Saturday, 25 September 2010

Corp infiltration and hostile takeover - a report (part II)

This is part II of my little infiltration report. Part I can be found here.

As soon as they let me in they invited me to their teamspeak server. Before you join voice comms during an infiltration you need to make some preparations. I registered a new email address for my alt, made up a new real life name for me, with a fake address, a fake job, age, hobbies, etc. You need to be able to answer quickly without thinking when they ask you about your name, or where you live. I prepared everything in advance, and I also had a textfile to store as much information as possible. When do these people get up, when do they go to bed? What ships do they fly? What are their plans? At this point I didn't know whether I should try and steal as much as possible, or try to lure them into a war with TEARS so every bit of information might have been useful.
Soon I learned they wanted to set up a POS in Amarr highsec so they mainly farmed missions to gain standings. Some people had negative Amarr standing though, this would take quite a while. Oh dear. Then I checked their corporate configuration and suddenly I knew I had made a good choice:

-Members had access to some hangars with less valuable ships and modules.
-Directors had full access to everything. Hangars, corp wallet, shares, ... Shares? Yes, the CEO hadn't claimed the shares yet although almost every corporation guide tells you in BIG RED LETTERS to do so as soon as you set up your corp if you ever want to hand out wallet access to other people. The one who owns the shares owns the corp. He can do everything.

In order to get director roles I had to suffer a few days of boredom. I ran missions to farm standings with the Imperial Navy, and whenever a corpmate asked for help I helped. Need hauling? I'll come. Need help in a mission? I'll come. Fortunately I managed to dodge their mining ops with good excuses.

Some days passed and I sent their CEO a mail:

Need help?
From: (my alt)
Sent: 2010.09.14 16:43
To: (their CEO)
Hi,

in the meantime I've settled down nicely and teamed up with a lot of members regularly. Like in many online games before I'd love to do more. I like organizing, and I like to help building this corp. I have led a successful guild in another online game before, I am good at settling disputes, and I like helping new players.
I know I am new, but I'd like to offer my help nonetheless. If there is anything you need help with, let me know.

Thank you,
(my alt)

Half an hour later I was in a private chat with the CEO. I told him I had a lot of ingame knowledge, knew how to set up a POS, had lived in 0.0 for some time (note: my alt had been in an NPC corp ever since I created him), ... it took mere minutes to convince him I'd be a good director, so he promoted me. After one week I had full access to everything in the corp.

My new role wasn't for free though. The CEO wanted his directors to be active. The mining directors organized mining ops often, the event manager set up corp mission runnings, and the CEO wanted me to teach new players how to PVP. I had already spent one week with these guys, I had to listen to their terrible chatter on teamspeak every day. No chance I'd be able to wait for them to gain the required standing to set up their POS. During several late night private chats with the CEO I learned about problems between some members. One old member wanted to speed things up to get the POS as soon as possible, some new guys didn't want to spend money on it at all, and many blamed the CEO so I knew he was under high pressure.
Perfect! When he bought an Orca with fittings in Jita and asked for someone to haul it to Domain my time had come. I introduced to him my neutral freighter/logistics alt (who shows up on several killmails in fleets with ninjas on various killboards) and he contracted everything. Without collateral. I told him I'd move it the next morning before downtime and waited until everyone went to bed.As soon as the last guy had logged off I took everything from the corp hangars and the ISK from the corp wallets. Unfortunately the CEO used to take spare money from the corp and stored it on an alt's wallet every other day so there were only a few hundred million in ISK. I checked corporation assets->deliveries and found a few mining ships belonging to other players and took them, too. Then I took all shares from the corp wallet and hit the "Run for CEO" button. At the same time Scopique sent a mail to some directors and the CEO:

Ransom offer
From: Scopique
Sent: 2010.09.19 01:29
To: (their CEO)

Dear members of XXX-corp,

we here at Suddenly Ninjas appreciate your friendly donations. On behalf of my friends I'd like to say thank you for the ISK from your corp wallet, ISK from some of your members who were so kind and lent us money, for an Orca, and for all the junk from your hangars. While it's not that much really, it's enough to cover the expenses, and to have free ships for a month or so.

We're holding all shares of XXX-corp so we are in control of your corp now. Tomorrow one of our employees will take over from (their CEO) as CEO. You could all leave your corporation and create a new one. As an alternative I'll offer you to buy back all the shares for a mere 200million ISK to regain control. We will honour this ransom. If you do not pay within 24 hours (Monday, 01:27am EVE-time), XXX-corp will be closed.

We have an intel report here. According to it there are some tensions among members within your corporation. Only a chosen few of your leaders received our message so far. If we make it public, and if your members notice they lost money due to your failure to keep this corporation save they might decide to leave, your reputation will suffer, and XXX-corp might break apart. However, if you pay the ransom of 200 million ISK within 24 hours (Monday, 01:27am EVE-time) you will regain control of your corporation, we'll leave you alone and no one will notice what happened.

Payment is to be made to my personal account, not to the Suddenly Ninjas corp wallet.

Don't bother talking to (my alt), he won't be able to answer your calls. However, in case there are any questions feel free to drop me a line.

-Scopique

Suddenly Ninjas
TEARS-Alliance

The "Run for CEO" button removes all powers from the CEO so he won't be able to kick you. It creates a shareholder vote for 24 hours, and everyone who owns shares of the corporation is allowed to vote. It also sends a mail to all members of the corporation. When setting up a vote like this, do not forget to actually vote "yes" or "no".
Because I couldn't cause much more harm I logged off for the night.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment